[erlang-questions] ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jul 8 21:49:10 CEST 2014

On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 8:58 PM, Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@REDACTED>
wrote:

> Likewise.  Kickstarter or Indiegogo seems like a much better model for the
> writing period.  Or maybe these guys: www.patreon.com - interesting model
> for writers, musicians, and such - instead of funding a project, you
> subscribe to a person - at $x/chapter or /song.

The problem is not financing the writing of the book - it's all the other
stuff.

A decent book needs:

   - an good technical editor
   - a copy editor
   - layout/typography
   - marketing
   - etc.

Now while the author of a book will do this as a labour of love and is
just happy if the book gets read the editors and so on actually want to get
paid for their work - seen from O'Reillys POV any Erlang book is pretty
risky - they probably need to sell 5,00 copies to break even.

O'Reilly (and the prags etc.) re taking a big commercial risk by publishing
FP/Erlang books - what they hope is that one day these books will
reach the mainstream -

Now of course, Francesco et al (and myself) could self publish, publishing
through Lulu etc. is really easy (an cheap) so does not even need any
kickstarter money - the problem is finding decent technical editors and
proof readers. Self-published books will not find themselves on the
bookshelves of
my local bookstore.

> Lee Sylvester wrote:
>
>> It’s not about the $25.  With the effort you would have put into this,
>> it’s certainly worth it, I’m sure.  This is merely a debate of the business
>> of publishing and authoring.  In fact, I would feel better giving you $25
>> knowing you received it all than pay $25 to O’Reilly knowing you will see
>> about $0.25 of it :-)

What about the money for Simon St. Laurent? - Let's assume that you
thought 25$ was a fair amount to pay for Francesco and Simmons first
Erlang book - would you pay equal amounts to Francesco and Simon.

But wait a moment their editor who I think was Simon St Laurent
will have made significant contributions to the book - should his
contribution
be unpaid and unrecognised?

> On 8 Jul 2014, at 19:51, Francesco Cesarini <francesco@REDACTED
>> com> wrote:
>>
>>  You do not write books because you believe you are going to make money
>>> out of them. You write them because you are passionate about the subject.
>>> If you calculate what Simon and I made from our first book, I am not sure
>>> we've hit minimum wage yet. From my side, I want to document my approach to
>>> teaching OTP, as I think it will work in writing as well as it does in the
>>> classroom. From the feedback Steve and I have received so far, we are right
>>> on track. Reiterating an email on this list from 2008, I want to see a
>>> whole bookshelf of Erlang/OTP books out there.
>>>
>>> I found the experience of working with O'Reilly really positive the
>>> first time around. From the editor, the production team (Graphics, copy
>>> editor, proof readers, etc) as well as their marketing and conferences.
>>>  And this time around, it is just as good, if not better. As an author, I
>>> could not recommend them more highly. I want to write books, I do not want
>>> to do all of the other stuff associated with getting it out. It is just a
>>> false economy.

I agree 100% - my experience with the prags was the same - publishers
do not just screw the authors - they add value to the product and they take
financial risk.

(I actually find it strange to be arguing this. It would be easy to say that
all a publisher does is screw the authors but this is not true - they
actually improve the product - my books have been immensely improved by
my editors - Dave Thomas and Susannah Pfalzer)

Books published by reputable publishers are an essentially part of
becoming mainstream - the cost does not reflect the production cost
but rather what the publisher decides what to price the book at  - too
little
and they go bankrupt too much and they have no income.

All decent technical books are available on file sharing networks for free
anyway.