Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Peter Lund erlang@REDACTED
Tue Feb 21 09:58:37 CET 2006

Personally I am convinced it would help marketing erlang a lot and here
is the reasoning:

When a friend (or customer) of a erlang enthusiast wonders what can be
done in erlang, the enthusiast naturally wants to send the friend (a
windows user) a demo of something that the friend can run directly on
his computer.

Then the enthusiast says: "sorry, but to do this you need first to do A
then B and C, then *hopefully* it works. Please tell me if you have any
problem and I'll help you out running the demo".

How many minus points do you think Erlang as a language gets in the
friend's mind when receiving such an email??

Yes it is true that Erlang do not get many plus points just because the
demo is easy for the friend/customer/manager to install and run, because
that is the *normal* / *expected* behaviour of any demo in any other
language. But if Erlang is perceived too complicated and only something
for nerds and geeks, Erlang looses lots of the strong credibility it
should have for its potential to be the language for a company's next
big project development.

That is why I think that any packaging tool that helps the erlang
enthusiast creating a minimal erlang environment + demo app (for windows
foremost) with options to include other stuff as well would be very
useful for the marketing of Erlang. If this tool also handles a lot more
it would just be a lot better of course.

/Peter