Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Vlad Dumitrescu vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED
Tue Feb 14 14:42:16 CET 2006

What I had in mind wasn't a general repository like jungerl, but lazy access
to the OTP distribution. Instead of downloading everything directly, you
only take what you need.

If the code is already present locally, it isn't downloaded (i.e. no
updates!).
If it isn't, it is only downloaded once, when first used (or if user
requires it, we should have a command to do it)

Security could be just a matter of checksums. SSH is an option too.

Everything works just like today, only some libraries won't be present from
the start. An application only needs to be pointed to the proper runtime
(just like today).

At a later stage, it could be possible to also update the libraries, but as
you point out - that is much harder to get right.

Regards,
Vlad