Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Björn Lindström bkhl@REDACTED
Tue Feb 14 15:09:27 CET 2006

"Vlad Dumitrescu" <vlad_dumitrescu@REDACTED>:

> Security could be just a matter of checksums. SSH is an option too.

GPG seems more to the point. That's what most Linux distributions do
now, for instance apt on Debian.

As for the rest, I always get suspicious when people make programming
language specific package managers that tries to do what the
distribution does already.

To me, it's much more attractive with a system that can easily be
hooked into dpkg, ports, RPM, or whatever.

On that, you could build systems for turning out pre-packaged versions
of the program for various platforms, including MacOS X single-file
applications, Windows installers, Debian packages/repositories, or
whatever.

So basically, we want a build script that just picks out what it needs
from Erlang/OTP and the program, puts it in a directory structure, and
then lets the back-ends for the various platforms do their
thing. Back-ends for .deb, RPM, MacOS X type application bundles and
some sort of Windows installer program seems like a good first set of
goals to me.

Of course it would also need to support packing up the program
separately, depending on a separate installed runtime system.

--
Björn Lindström <bkhl@REDACTED>
Student of computational linguistics, Uppsala University, Sweden