OpenCensus / OpenTelemetry

Tristan Sloughter t@REDACTED
Mon May 25 17:09:02 CEST 2020

Hey Vance, the OpenCensus Erlang lib has support for metrics. The OpenTelemetry Erlang lib has very basic/limited support because the OpenTelemetry metrics spec has gone through fluctuation and uncertainty until last week. With that now fairly complete and stable I hope to get time in the near future (meaning weeks) to update the Otel metrics support.

So I would not advise using Otel if metrics are needed unless you are interested in helping contribute :)

On Erlanger slack (https://erlef.org/slack-invite/erlanger) there is an opencensus channel as well as the eef-observability-wg channel. Both are used to discuss OpenTelemetry.

OpenTelemetry is also on gitter.im with a specific Erlang channel opentelemetry-erlang. Erlang/Elixir is an official SIG of the OpenTelemetry project but I have rolled it into the Erlang Ecosystem Foundation's Observability Working Group for handling meetings -- if you are wanting to help with the metrics development, or even if you aren't but are still interested, you are welcome to join our WG meetings.

For those seeing this and wondering what OpenTelemetry is, it is the merger of OpenTracing (https://opentracing.io/) and OpenCensus (https://opencensus.io/):

https://opentelemetry.io/
https://github.com/open-telemetry/opentelemetry-erlang-api/
https://hexdocs.pm/opentelemetry_api/readme.html