[erlang-questions] Erlang distribution links don't fully utilise available resources - OTP 22.0.2 - Why?

Karl Nilsson kjnilsson@REDACTED
Tue Jun 18 10:42:43 CEST 2019

I work with Gerhard (OP) and just thought I'd chime in.

Thanks for the alternative suggestions of using sockets / partisan. At some
point we will look at this but for now we are working on making the best
use possible of vanilla distributed erlang links. We do understand there is
overhead and inherent inefficiencies with using distributed erlang for data
transfer but isn't it surprising / concerning anyone else that it is only
able to make use of 27% of total network potential? Would you not prefer it
to be, say, 50% or even 75% if this is theoretically possible?

So what we'd like to find out is whether there are genuine unsurmountable
reasons for this or something that can be improved, either by tweaking
config or by optimisations in the distribution layer.

We will run more tests to get more data to reason about. If anyone has
suggestions for good tests to run / metrics to inspect that would be very
welcome.

Cheers
Karl

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 at 23:01, Scott Lystig Fritchie <fritchie@REDACTED>
wrote:

> I've not tried using Partisan for the kind of single sender -> single
> receiver large blob throughput that y'all are attempting, but Partisan
> might make better use of high speed local networks in your case.
>
> http://partisan.cloud
>
> -Scott (standing in for Chris Meiklejohn ^_^)

*Karl Nilsson*