[erlang-questions] display floats without -e?

Richard O'Keefe raoknz@REDACTED
Tue Jan 1 12:11:43 CET 2019

You might want to do some more testing.

11> floaty:auto(12.3455555533).
"12.345555553300000"

It is not clear that this is something you would be happy with.
I discovered this by simplifying the code to

auto(F) when is_float(F) ->
   P = precision(abs(F), 0),
   erlang:float_to_list(F, [{decimals,P}]).

-spec precision(float(), integer()) -> integer().
precision(A, P) ->
    if A == trunc(A) -> P
     ; true          -> precision(A*10.0, P+1)
    end.

and doing some testing of my own.  I was rather relieved to discover
that the original code behaved the same way.

It's really not clear what the aim is here.
I suspect that it is something that should be
done with numbers rather than lists.