[erlang-questions] 'cannot' /= 'can not'

Fri Jul 27 09:52:25 CEST 2018

On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 03:11:47PM +0200, Raimo Niskanen wrote:
> Please have a look at and evaluate GitHub PR#1891:
>
>   https://github.com/erlang/otp/pull/1891

Fun story:  A coworker just vaguely remembered that the technical writer(s)
we had working on the documentation in late 2016 maybe made this kind of
changes, and surely enough they did change "can not" into "cannot".

This did not stick in all developers' memory, though, since at least 6 of
us has re-introduced "can not"s after that.

It is actually a hard one, I think especially for Swedes, since we have an
ongoing language war/debate about people splitting Swedish words that
should be concatenated due to influence from English so the safe bet for a
Swede is that in proper English it is probably not one word.

I asked around me and the most common reaction is: "cannot" - is that even
a proper word? I would have written "can not"!

And this is from people born in the 60:s through the 90:s, at least.

So it will take a while for this detail to become common truth, at
least in Sweden...

We will work on it, but it will take time.

Best Regards
/ Raimo