[erlang-questions] ANN: Designing for Scalability with Erlang/OTP by O'Reilly - slight addition

Miles Fidelman mfidelman@REDACTED
Tue Jul 8 20:10:32 CEST 2014

Miles Fidelman wrote:
> On 8 Jul 2014, at 16:05, Francesco Cesarini
> <francesco@REDACTED> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> a shameless plug. Steve Vinoski and I are working on a book focused
>>> on distributed, scalable systems with OTP. It is available from
>>> O'Reilly as an Early Release from their website. The first eight
>>> chapters we released cover (in great detail) all other behaviours.
>>> We started writing, and before we knew it, we had several hundred
>>> pages on behaviours alone. Last week, two new chapters, including
>>> the Introduction & Special processes and Implementing your own
>>> behaviours were released. We are now focusing on release handling
>>> (hgg), code upgrade and architectural patterns.
>>>
>>> What is available is an unedited draft, with new chapters and
>>> improvements published as they become available. You can find more
>>> info here:
>>>
>>> http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920024149.do?intcmp=il-prog-books-videos-product-intsrch_erlang_ct
>>>

>>> If you use discount code authd, you will get 50% off the Early
>>> Release, and 40% on pre-orders of the the printed copy.
>>>
>>> Looking forward to your feedback,
>>>

> Not for nothing, but $50 for the undedited work-in-progress seems a
> bit steep (and yes, I saw the discount code).  I also note that "rough
> cuts" aren't included in my Safari subscription.
>
> Usual practice that I've seen is for works-in-progress to be free,
> with tools that support comments from early readers.
>
> Sounds interesting - but, from the TOC (all that's available without
> paying), it sure looks like it covers the same ground as "Erlang and
> OTP in Action."

Now... if this were on Kickstarter, and you were avowedly asking for
support, that would be a different story.  The O'Reilly "rough cuts"
package is for the birds.

Miles