[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Michael Richter ttmrichter@REDACTED
Tue Oct 23 10:30:31 CEST 2012

On 23 October 2012 16:25, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Michael Richter <ttmrichter@REDACTED>
> wrote:

> >> They are.  The notation used by my students in their maths books is
> >> completely different in many key areas from the notation I used in high
> >> school and university to the point that I can't read them.
> >>
> >> Oddly enough the world of maths hasn't exploded at the seams.
>

> > Note, too, that the words between the actual maths symbols which remain
> the
> > same aren't in English, so even if the maths notation was completely,
> > absolutely, 100% the same, the explanatory prose in between would still
> be
> > unreadable to an English reader.  So, too, are the variables often in
> Hanzi
> > instead of the Latin or Greek alphabets.
>

> Maybe chinese use hanzi, but how do they call whith others around the
> world when it's about sharing their work or collaborate globally ?
> They come back to the common syntax.

First, they don't publish everything they write in international journals.
You know, just like … well, everybody.

Second, they translate at need, often through professional translators or,
at the very least, they translate into (very rough) English themselves and
then pass that on for editing to a native speaker.  (Evidence: that's my
side business.  I edit translated scientific papers for journal
submissions.)

> I find it rather costly to say less to do the work twice just because
> at first you are using a syntax only used in your part of the world
> even if it's about some billions people.

You know what's even more expensive?  Having to do all of your work in a
language you don't have a firm grasp on.  Having to slow down your thinking
to speak in L2 instead of going full-tilt in L1.  Having to bend to the
will of a linguistic minority to do your work *even if that linguistic
minority will never see your work*.

I ask again: how can so many smart people be so fucking dumb on this point?