[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Ivan Uemlianin ivan@REDACTED
Tue Oct 23 10:33:28 CEST 2012

On 23/10/2012 09:25, Benoit Chesneau wrote:

> Maybe chinese use hanzi, but how do they call whith others around the
> world when it's about sharing their work or collaborate globally ?
> They come back to the common syntax.

This is political.  Just as the British, and then the Americans stopped
learning foreign languages and expected everyone else to use English.
The Chinese will increasingly expect to be able to use Mandarin whenever
abroad.

High-end retail around the world are now hiring more Mandarin-speaking
shop assistants.  The same will happen with everything else.

> I find it rather costly to say less to do the work twice just because
> at first you are using a syntax only used in your part of the world
> even if it's about some billions people.

I expect they'll be fine.

Best

Ivan

Ivan A. Uemlianin PhD