[erlang-questions] A proposal for Unicode variable and atom names in Erlang.

Michael Turner michael.eugene.turner@REDACTED
Tue Oct 23 07:37:02 CEST 2012

I found Michael Richter's reply even more amusing than the David
Mercer e-mail. Especially when imagining that David's out-of-context
comments should be taken seriously, in which case I'm whole-heartedly
with Michael Richter. Now hear this: I *violently* agree with you
*both*. Take that! (Michael, did David not preface an entire following
paragraph with "seriously, though"? Only to make yet another joke?)

You two are reminding me of me.

I'm familiar with the feeling that David reports: there's only enough
room in my head for one foreign language. I go back to California on
visits sometimes and often find myself speaking to someone over a
counter who doesn't seem to understand my English very well. Rather
than switch to the most likely language (Spanish, which I never really
learned to speak even after years of public school instruction), I
involuntarily start babbling in Japanese. This has left quite a few
Mexican, Honduran, Guatemalan and Salvadoran restaurant staff slightly
befuddled. I usually catch myself when I realize that "taco" doesn't
usually mean "taco" in Japanese, but rather "octopus".

-michael