[erlang-questions] How to solve the issue with Configuration files?

Mazen Harake mazen.harake@REDACTED
Sun Jan 11 14:33:28 CET 2009

Dear List,

During the countless times I've done releasehandling I always end up
thinking about the problem with how to "ship" configuration.

Option1:
All configuration files are specific for each application and reside in
e.g. priv directory. Benefit is that it then gets included when packing
a release however it won't survive a release upgrade unless the files
are explicitly copied to the new location.

Option2:
An env variable which tells where a configuration folder is and that is
used in your application (or if you don't care about dependencies, heh,
then a lib which provides that directory or similar). Then each
application use their own files in that dir. Benefit here is that
configuration survives release change but doesn't get packed with the
release. Also this is a b**h to handle, anyone that version control
their configuration will have a nightmare if you want to manually handle
the configuration.

So the question is; what is the best way to handle configurations? Say
you have 20 xml files which various applications in your release use...
where to put them and how to maintain them? If you can, please share how
you handle them...

/Mazen