[erlang-questions] Is erlang a web language?

Peter Sabaini peter@REDACTED
Sun Feb 15 13:30:32 CET 2009

On Sunday 15 February 2009 12:56:19 Joe Armstrong wrote:
> This is my take on the matter.
>
> To start with I don't think one distribution scheme or library will
> ever work - the work
> making it consistent is colossal.

Yet rubygems or PyPI seem to work out quite well.

To me this is mostly about findability and having a uniform interface for meta
data -- version numbers, homepage, release history etc., this makes a huge
difference in choosing a lib.

> I rather like what's happened in the javascript world.
>
> Here there is a core-language, and alternative sets of rather-good
> libraries.
>
> To me a good library has
>
>      - a book (or books) -
>      - community who contribute to the library
>      - a unifying principle
>      - a set of applications that use the library

IMHO this rather depends on the library -- a small library that does one thing
well and has only a small interface won't need a whole book for documentation.

> The javascript jquery and protoype libraries live up these criteria.
>
> After I finished the erlang book I started writing a library and a number
> of applications based on the library. My plan is:
>
>      a) write a base library and applications
>      b) open source it and invite community participial
>      c) improve quality of library through participation
>      d) write a book describing the library
>
> I'm in the middle of a) - I now have a dilemma, should I release now or
> later.
>
> advantages: early feedback
> disadvantages: quality problems - it's in a bit of a mess, so it gets
> a bad reputation.
>
> Or wait a year or so:
>
> advantages: higher quality of release
> disadvantage: loose user feedback
>
> Do you want software "early and buggy, badly documented" or
> "late and better documented, higher quality"

The classical "Release Early, Release Often" is still a valid approach I
think. As long as it clearly says on the box (with big bold letters) if
something is alpha/beta/release quality you won't get a bad reputation. Or
only from people who do not read :-)

Just my 0.02eurocent...

peter.