[erlang-questions] Is erlang a web language?

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Sat Feb 14 20:30:11 CET 2009

2009/2/14 Dale Harvey <harveyd@REDACTED>

> [...]
>>> interfacing with memcached. And the list *will* grow. These are just
>>> projects I can name off the top of my head
>>>
>>> "Let a hundred flowers blossom" (c) Mao Zedong
>>>
>>> Quite often I don't think that authors of some of these project even now
>>> that similar projects exist. Forget the users, they will *never* even
>>> discover some of them :)
>>>

>> Hello,
>> 3 cents from a perspective of someone who did a lot of searching of
>> quality 3rd-party Erlang software during last two years, for the purposes of
>> r&d first and later for the production use in a startup.
>>
>> Centralized repository is tempting (I missed it at the beginning), but it
>> also requires lots of Q&A work. It can be obvious for anybody who
>> participated in maintaining some Linux of *BSD distribution. Also it can
>> reveal specific social incompatibilies between users, as they needs vary
>> more than most of people would like to admit. And it's not very good for the
>> perception of the community to start a centralized service which will fail
>> later.
>>
>> The simpler step is to make searching easier. A website aggregating some
>> automatically-retrieved info (from googlecode, github, sourceforge) with a
>> human-entered content (by those  authors who'd like to care about it) comes
>> to mind. The results could be sorted somehow, with a raw google search
>> output as a last resort. Something like that could be plugged into Planet
>> Erlang.
>>
>> There's no silver bullet when it comes to managing external software. In
>> production you usually want to stick with carefully chosen and often patched
>> specific versions of 3rd party stuff, otherwise you easily introduce a new
>> point of failure and make the release management pain in the ass. I'm very
>> happy that  Erlang is the first language making a sane conenction between
>> HA-world, where you think about your production environment in a very
>> specific way, and the usual "opensource libraries for all, let's grab it"
>> approach.
>

> I registered erldocs.com with the intention of doing pretty much exactly
> that. right now I am waiting on the ability to fully generate the erlang
> documentation from source, then I was planning to improve usability /
> searchability, then on importing documentation of open source 3rd party libs
>
> however I am a bit torn because
> http://erlware.org/documentation/index.html
> does a large amount of what I was planning to do, the frontend could be
> improved quite a lot, but its a good start.
>
> So i think it comes down to, why arent people using faxien / sinan?, I
> tried them
> out a while ago and had some teething issues, however they seem to
> stabilising
> recently, I am going to give it a bit more of a thorough look and try
> packaging
> some applications for it. are there any core reasons why people dont use

I am using sinan/faxien exclusively, and have installed and maintained four
Erlang production systems with them. There were some teething issues, some
of which were very annoying to the point that some people stopped using the
software, but I soldiered on and the software is improving. Even with the
bugs and problems, it's a while lot better than the make-based solution I
was using before. I really hope that Faxien and Sinan make it because they
are closer to what I want in a build/distribution system for Erlang than
anything else I have used, even with their current limitations. I wish the
whole OTP was distributed like this.