[erlang-questions] Is erlang a web language?

Dale Harvey harveyd@REDACTED
Thu Feb 12 23:50:50 CET 2009

2009/2/12 Nick Gerakines <nick@REDACTED>

> I'd like to step in and say that Erlang is an awesome platform for
> writing web services. In fact, to back that statement up, I'll let you
> metaphorically peak into how we are using it for just that.
>
> Here at EA we are building a pretty large web service powered by
> Erlang to support different parts of the EA Online group. We've been
> using tools like MochiWeb, etap (github.com/ngerakines/etap), protocol
> buffers (github.com/ngerakines/erlang_protobuffs), dynomite
> (github.com/cliffmoon/dynomite) (CAVEAT: it's unofficial/unimplemented
> but we've got use cases that jive), log_roller
> (github.com/JacobVorreuter/log_roller), ejabberd and list goes on.
>
> To get it out of the way: No, we aren't building a game or MMOG with
> Erlang.
>
> Why? Because Erlang comes with the tools we need to rapidly prototype,
> improve and deliver production quality code. We can light up a small
> grid of modular services that tie into a public facing API within a
> day's development time. It's working really well and I sincerely hope
> that once more of our project is public, I'll be able to speak more on
> it. What you can do is follow us (ngerakines, JacobVorreuter, Tivoli)
> on GitHub and see what open source projects are coming out of this and
> what we are improving on.
>
> # Nick Gerakines
>
> 2009/2/12 Dale Harvey <harveyd@REDACTED>:

> >> When you find "a good repository of reusable code", for any language,
> >> please
> >> let us know.
> >>
> >> The examples I'm most familiar with (PECL, CPAN, Rubyforge) are large
> >> collections of utter crap, with the occasional jewel to keep your hopes
> >> alive.  The vast majority of what's in any of them is buggy, limited in
> >> scope, doesn't do what it says on the box, poorly tested, undocumented,
> >> downright dangerous, conflicts with other stuff you've already picked,
> >> and/or depends on other modules that you either can't find or which fit
> >> the
> >> previous categories.
> >>
> >> Basically, "a large library of third-party modules" isn't something you
> >> want
> >> to be relying on when you're on a deadline to produce something
> >> mission-critical.  Yes, your average webapp doesn't really fit that
> >> "mission
> >> critical" profile (at least, not in the same way as a telephone switch)
> >> and
> >> hence isn't Erlang's "traditional" market.  Half-arsed injuhnearing
> works
> >> well enough for a webapp; it doesn't work for something where 5-nines
> >> uptime
> >> is a failed product.
> >>
> >> Personally, as an Erlang n00b, I like the different philosophies
> embodied
> >> in
> >> Erlang and it's surrounding community.  I've gotten sick of half-arsed
> web
> [...]

Heh I wanted to make it clear if it wasnt from my first post that
I also think erlang makes for a great platform to write web applications.
having an embedded database and a proliferation
of web servers to choose from are 2 big wins, and the principles
behind erlangs fault tolerance and concurrency orientated
programming are a great match.

I agree with joe's premise that those advantages outweigh the
disadvantages of not having a lot of the common utility libraries
for a lot of people, but I dont agree that its a reason not to bother
providing them as a community.