[erlang-questions] Is erlang a web language?

Nick Gerakines nick@REDACTED
Thu Feb 12 23:40:46 CET 2009

I'd like to step in and say that Erlang is an awesome platform for
writing web services. In fact, to back that statement up, I'll let you
metaphorically peak into how we are using it for just that.

Here at EA we are building a pretty large web service powered by
Erlang to support different parts of the EA Online group. We've been
using tools like MochiWeb, etap (github.com/ngerakines/etap), protocol
buffers (github.com/ngerakines/erlang_protobuffs), dynomite
(github.com/cliffmoon/dynomite) (CAVEAT: it's unofficial/unimplemented
but we've got use cases that jive), log_roller
(github.com/JacobVorreuter/log_roller), ejabberd and list goes on.

To get it out of the way: No, we aren't building a game or MMOG with Erlang.

Why? Because Erlang comes with the tools we need to rapidly prototype,
improve and deliver production quality code. We can light up a small
grid of modular services that tie into a public facing API within a
day's development time. It's working really well and I sincerely hope
that once more of our project is public, I'll be able to speak more on
it. What you can do is follow us (ngerakines, JacobVorreuter, Tivoli)
on GitHub and see what open source projects are coming out of this and
what we are improving on.

# Nick Gerakines