[erlang-questions] Is erlang a web language?

Masklinn masklinn@REDACTED
Wed Feb 11 18:09:44 CET 2009

On 11 févr. 09, at 17:46, Yang Zhang <getyourcontacts@REDACTED> wrote:
> I saw eralng has its own webserver and distribute database. These
> looks quite good.
> But after I wrote some web programs, I found erlang even doesn't have
> a strong enough htmlentities or urlencode , urldecode function. What's
> the problem here?
> Isnot erlang a web language
I'm not really sure of what you mean by "a web language but:
* if you mean "a language in which it's possible to write a website,
then erlang works (yaws, erlyweb, mochi*)
* if you mean "a language made to create websites (php, coldfusion)
then definitely not
* if you mean "a language in which writing websites is enjoyable
(python+django, ruby+rails) then I'd tend to say no, but I'm sure
others will disagree.

And in any case, Erlang doesn't bundle website-related stuff in the
stdlib. It's not "web ready out of the box", that's not its main usage
domain.