[erlang-questions] '--' BIF to be used with caution?

Hynek Vychodil vychodil.hynek@REDACTED
Tue Feb 10 09:44:20 CET 2009

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 1:20 AM, Richard O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 6 Feb 2009, at 3:30 am, Malcolm Dowse wrote:
> >
> > I don't mind too much if '--' remains O(N^2). But the fact that it
> > made ERTS unresponsive is more of a worry, to me, because this
> > seemed to go against the spirit of the language.
>
> Since -- is seriously inefficient (you can easily get O(|l1|.lg|l2|)
> in pure Erlang, so what's the point of doing O(|l1|.|l2|) in C?),
> why not fix the blocking issue by just turning it into ordinary
> Erlang code?  Is there any reason why an operator can't be implemented
> in Erlang?

It's easy, constants for serious amount |2|.

--Hynek (Pichi) Vychodil

Analyze your data in minutes. Share your insights instantly. Thrill your
boss.  Be a data hero!
Try Good Data now for free: www.gooddata.com