The Erlang mailing list

Simon Chappell simonpeterchappell@REDACTED
Wed Aug 30 19:43:13 CEST 2006

On 8/30/06, Joel Reymont <joelr1@REDACTED> wrote:

> On Aug 30, 2006, at 3:01 PM, Simon Chappell wrote:
>
> > Personally, I like the Yahoo groups. I'm a moderator on the JUnit
> > group and it seems to function pretty well. That said, I'm sure that
> > Google groups are comparable.
>
> I prefer the Web interface of Google groups. It shows all posts in a
> single page and I don't have to muck with expand, etc. It can also
> show you the thread in a side bar. Yahoo is a pain in the rear when
> browsing, IMO.

I take a mixed approach. I normally interface with the group through
email and I use Google Mail for that, so I get the nice conversational
groupings and great interface. :-)

> >> There's already http://groups.google.com/group/think_erlang that I
> >> started a while ago.
> >
> > The group appears to be invitation only. That might slow down
> > membership.
>
> Ask for an invite and be one of the chosen few! But seriously, the
> group was started in jest  (check out the description) and for a
> handful of people to interact. I'm not sure how it would be different
> from this list. More conceptual maybe?

If you are prepared to accommodate folks that are really interested in
learning and using Erlang, then I'd be happy to sign up. I'd try to
keep the dumb questions to a minimum and would write down the words of
wisdom that I receive and post them on my website as reference
material (something I'm already doing for the Groovy scripting
language) for other new Erlangers moving from procedural languages to
concurrent functional programming nirvana. (Was that enough
grovelling? ;-)

Simon

--
www.simonpeter.org