Erlang for desktop applications?

Jacobo García de Polavieja jacobopolavieja@REDACTED
Mon Aug 7 13:06:43 CEST 2006

Ryan Rawson wrote:
> Ironically GTK doesn't really address the realistic needs of a desktop
> application.  Printing?  Maybe things are better than the last time I
> looked at it, but I don't care as much about Linux on the desktop.
>
> I heard that wxWindows is not so great for large apps.  I don't know
> why, but I suspect it may have to do with the class structure or
> something.
>
> As for OSX, sounds good to me :-)
>
> On 8/6/06, CyBerHigh <cyberhigh@REDACTED> wrote:
>> Cocoa bindings would only be good for mac.  I think there needs to be
>> GTK bindings or a new GUI built around erlang.  I beleave erlang could
>> be used now for desktops apps, only if there GUI where there.  But a few
>> fixes to how it handles strings and floating point numbers would make
>> for an even better enverment to work in.
>> Ryan Rawson wrote:
>> > Have a look a F# - OCaml on .NET.
>> >
>> > Also check out wings3d - a "desktop appliation" written in Erlang.
>> >
>> > The real problems behind writing a desktop app I think have to do with
>> > UI and GUI issues.  For example, TK is an ugly UI on any system - and
>> > its the widly available default UI.
>> >
>> > What I really want is Cocoa bindings.  Maybe I should write that.
>> >
>> > -ryan

>> got
>> years
>> and
>> you

Please don't turn this into a Cocoa VS GTK or OSX VS Linux debate ;-).
WxWindows is not suitable for large application because it's a subset of
all de backends it supports (GTK, WindowsForms, etc), so it gets
complicated to do a big and nice GUI. It's usually pretty limited.

What I'm trying to address here is... if there was a nice GUI
(whichever) for Erlang... would Erlang be a nice option to develop
desktop applications seeing dual and quadcore processors are coming?
Even more... would it be suitable to develop its own GUI?

Thanks for all the answers.