Building OTP R9C-0 on OpenBSD 3.3

Rick Pettit rpettit@REDACTED
Fri Sep 19 16:48:44 CEST 2003

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 07:08:24PM -0700, Jay Nelson wrote:
> I have been struggling with Rick Pettit's solution to the
> OpenBSD 3.3 build problem.
>
> http://www.erlang.org/ml-archive/erlang-questions/200308/msg00096.html
>
> It was a little more complicated because of two things:
>
> 1) The configure script detects OpenSSL by looking
> for openssl.h which is located in /usr/include/openssl
>
> 2) The OPENSSL_CMD is /usr/sbin/openssl

This is no different than the problems I had. The autotools stuff assumes that
the openssl executable is $with_ssl/bin/openssl, whic is incorrect on OpenBSD.

> Just saying --with-ssl=/usr/include/openssl cannot handle
> both cases, nor does Rick's change to make SSL_BINDIR
> $dir/sbin seem to work completely.

You did not follow all the instructions (granted, I could have been a bit more
specific on _which_ Makefile):

I finally got R9C to build, after doing the following:

  1) ./configure --with-ssl=/usr/include/openssl

      Configure succeeds, but build will fail as OPENSSL_CMD is incorrectly set
      to /usr/include/openssl/bin/openssl

  2) manually modify appropriate Makefile to hard-code OPENSSL_CMD

If you only follow step one, you get the problem you currently have. The lazy
approach is to do the configure, then the build and let it fail trying to
make certificates with openssl, then change the OPENSSL_CMD in the ssl Makefile,
and run the build again.

Of course the right thing to do would be to fix the configure stuff so that
it looks in the right place by default on OpenBSD.

It looks like you skipped step 2. I have had this built and running great for
weeks now.

> I had a stock standard OpenBSD 3.3 and couldn't get
> anything to work until I had move 'make' out of the way
> and symbolically linked 'gmake' to be make (after downloading
> the gmake code since it doesn't install by default).

Why not just run gmake? I did not have to symbolically link anything.

In either case, if you have any more problems I would be more than happy to
help.

-Rick