[erlang-questions] support for .ez archives

Håkan Mattsson hm@REDACTED
Tue Mar 6 12:21:21 CET 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 23:54, Tim Watson <watson.timothy@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I have a few questions about support for .ez archives, and one or two
> suggestions as well.
>
> - is a timeline for fully supporting them?
> - does the -include_lib(...) directive now work (in R15) when the headers
> are in an archive?

Björn, is there a timeline?

> - does code:lib_dir/2 work properly with archives?

Yes.

> As a suggestion: I've noticed that the way most people build an escript
> binary is to glue everything together into a zip file with the appropriate
> header content and I wonder whether having 'executable (.ez) archives'
> would be a better approach? Perhaps this works today and I haven't figured
> it out? What are peoples thoughts about this?

The current trick with the shebang header works on many platforms.
It would however be nice with executable archives (without any
shebang), but these solutions tend to be more platform specific
(non-portable).

/Håkan