Never trust a statistics you didn't forge yourself

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) joe.armstrong@REDACTED
Thu Feb 23 12:41:58 CET 2006

 You're right - and I missed this part of the paper - sorry.

 When I wrote this I had just seen the posting to the net which said:

 "two gift certificates from amazon.com are being awarded to everyone
  who participated."

The paper said

   ".. they could win one of two 50$ gift certificates"

These mean different things. You said that my posting might have biased the results - this annoyed me and a lot of people on the Erlang list
who responded to your survey, and I annoy you by pointing out that
you have not accurately described your methods.

It is not my intention to anger you, and I am sure that you did not
intend to annoy various members of the Erlang list - but it was my intention to point out the difference between facts and speculations
in your paper. It will be a better paper if you stick to the numbers,
and leave off any attempt at guessing as to why they are as they are.

I suggest you revise the paper a bit.

You could say:

<<
	- I sent the following post to [list them]  newsgroups

	" quote what you sent "

As a result of this a number of message asking people to participate in the survey were cross posted to a number of different groups.

It is impossible to estimate how the results of these messages biased
the responses from the different groups.

My personal opinions is that:

	- Offers of gift certificate has no effect on people filling
	  in the survey, and
	- My posting to the Erlang list has no effect (other than
	  making people aware that there was a survey - I think the
	  response from the Erlang list would have been the same
	  no matter who had sent the mail)

[snipped]

/Joe

[can we put this bit of the argument to rest now and wave a few olive branches around - I have a program to write  ]