Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Nigel Head <>
Thu Feb 23 07:42:32 CET 2006

On 22/02/06, Mikael Karlsson <> wrote:

> The problem with deployment on Erlang, as I see it, is that it is not
> possible
> to add new applications to releases, and that they all have to go into the
> erlang root library. It would be nice if Erlang could have a secondary
> library path that was searched too, meaning that you could deploy
> applications
> in an own library without having to do code:add_path{a,z} for everyone of
> them. And making it easy to upgrade your Erlang base system without
> affecting
> your own additions.

I have to say that I don't find the use of .erlang too terribly onerous for
doing the add_path work.
In spirit it's kind of like the venerable

Of course you wouldn't want installers just vomiting all over the .erlang
file but I don't think it would be too hard to establish a convention for
organising the adding of application specific setup segments ...