Longstanding issues: structs & standalone Erlang

Bengt Kleberg bengt.kleberg@REDACTED
Mon Feb 20 11:01:19 CET 2006

greetings,

in general i find it difficult to explain the benefit of using erlang to
install erlang applications to people that ''knows'' that the whole gnu
system will always be present on every computer.

On 2006-02-15 16:36, Fredrik Thulin wrote:
...deleted
> There are obviosuly a bunch of prerequisites to compiling stuff, the
> first being to have a computer at all, and then somewhere along the
> road you end up with having to have a compiler installed.
>
> Anyway, compiling C stuff was not really what I thought we were
> discussing...

C stuff is what i am discussing. i am trying to say that it should _not_
be needed for a ''normal'' erlang application/library.

>> 2 ''make''. it crashes on solaris (makefiles are ususally written for
>> gnumake, not ''standard make'').
>
> Prerequisites again. GNU make is 'make' for me, in my packaging
> environment. We build GNU make as part of the bootstrap process.
> However, I know for a fact that at least one of the three mentioned
> applications can be built with BSD make too ;)

gnu make is make for you. and why does that mandate that it have to be
make for me, too?

and for every application that can work with standrad make, there are
several that actually expects me to have the autotools installed. since
they ship without configure, and expects me to build it from configure.in.

>> both these problems would be avoidable if the installation used
>> erlang.
>
> If you were in fact talking about a _C_ compiler (as opposed to 'erlc'),
> then how would using Erlang for the installation work without having
> xcode installed on mac-osx?

if erlang was used for the install i would not need make, and if i did
not need make i would not need a c compiler to build make.

bengt