Booting from an iso

Joe Armstrong (AL/EAB) <>
Tue Feb 7 13:08:45 CET 2006

Sorry about this question - since it's not an Erlang question

What I often do is the following:

	1 - load an .iso from the net
	2 - burn a CD
	3 - reboot my machine with the newly burnt CD in my CD drive

Examples: memory test programs, device drivers, install disks.

What I'd like to do is this:

	1 - load an .iso from net and store it in some well defined
	    boot directory on one of the file systems in some partition
on my disk
	2 - Configure grub so that it knows where the boot directory is

When grub starts I'd like to:

	3 - Be presented with a menu of all the iso's in the boot
	    together with my normal boot options
	4 - Boot the machine from one of the .iso's in the boot

And: The same - only the boot directory would be on a USB flash memory
The exercise of *burning a CD* just so that you can later-on boot from
seems daft - since the file on the CD was on my hard disk why can't I
from it directly?