[erlang-questions] Are the wxWidgets bindings actively developed

Dan Gudmundsson dangud@REDACTED
Fri Jun 28 09:54:21 CEST 2019

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 9:05 AM <zxq9@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 2019年6月27日木曜日 11時33分28秒 JST Dan Gudmundsson wrote:
> > Mostly bug-fixes nowadays, some new features are sneaked in here and
> there.
> >
> > We are still basing it on wxWidgets-2.8 API, but you should be able to
> use
> > anything from
> > wxWidgets 2.8.4 - 3.1.X (*) as a backend.
> >
> > (*) If you enable 2.8 compatibility when compiling wxWidgets 3.1.X
> >
> > But pull-requests are appreciated :-)
>
> Is 3.1 not as universally available as 2.8, or are we in "ain't
> broke, don't fix" mode in terms of forward migration?

wxWidgets use even numbers as stable releases.
So 3.1  is not considered as a stable api, thus not available as pre-built
packages
on many linux platforms.

The problem is that many bug-fixes are not backported to 3.0, (and there
have not been one released for a while)
which causes some problems mostly on Mojave for instance.

The wx binding should be able to compile against either version, though I
have not
added all new functionality in 3.0 and 3.1 releases.
Also, I use 2.8 api when generating the code, so it's hacky to add 3.0 and
3.1 functionality,
and I don't know how much work it will be to upgrade the code generator to
be based on the new releases.

And we still have some old machines around which need wxWidgets 2.8 to be
able to compile, sigh.

/dgud