[erlang-questions] How to debug erlang

Schneider fchschneider@REDACTED
Wed Jun 19 19:41:48 CEST 2019

Chapter 17 in Erlang Programming by Francesco Cesarini and Simon Thompson gives a good introduction. However, Erlang debugging and tracing does require quite some understanding of the system before you can use it effectively. It is hugely effective if you know what you’re doing, so read the book first, which dates back some ten years but is still well worth reading.
Another very useful tool is the observer. Start with observer:start() from the Erlang shell.
The other tool to use as a beginner is the GUI debugger. Start from the Erlang shell with debugger:start(). See the Erlang docs for it’s use. This is probably more inline with the tools you’re used to.

Frans