[erlang-questions] Cleaning up code

Hugo Mills hugo@REDACTED
Thu Jan 31 15:30:41 CET 2019

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 09:20:43AM -0500, Donald Steven wrote:
> I need several large maps whose data will need to be accessed and
> updated in a number of functions.  I've defined them in main() just
> to get started, but they're so extensive that they swamp the
> readability of main().  I haven't found a way to "include" them as
> 1) erlang won't accept simple file inclusion anywhere (like m4) and
> 2) my attempt to define a map in an .hrl file (like a -record
> definition), as in:
>
> keywords = #( ...}.  or Keywords = #( ...}.
>
> just produces error messages.  I could use m4, but ...
>
> Any suggestions?  Thanks.

   It's not clear how you're using the data, but that sounds like
either a ETS table, or a separate server process to manage the data in
each map.

   If you're only concerned about the size of the initialisation for
each map, then you could just define them in a function and call that
in your main():

main() ->
    Map1 = init_map1(),

init_map1() ->

   Hugo.

--
Hugo Mills             | The last man on Earth sat in a room. Suddenly, there
hugo@REDACTED carfax.org.uk | was a knock at the door.