[erlang-questions] Attaching to running release in docker container

Igor Clark igor.clark@REDACTED
Tue Jan 22 23:11:15 CET 2019

Hi folks,

I'm running an R21 release inside a docker container, basically doing what
https://github.com/erlang/docker-erlang-example does. (It works great for
my app, so thanks for that!)

When I do this:

 docker exec -ti <container> /app/bin/app attach

I get this:

failed to attach, user '' does not have sufficient privileges on
> '/tmp/erl_pipes/mwc@REDACTED/', please run node as a different user

I can run 'remote_console' just fine, and everything else is working as
expected too. I've tried hacking it to work by setting ${USER} via the
environment (in which case it just says "user 'XX" does not have
privileges..."), and even setting all the vars I retrieve via os:getenv()
when running under remote_console, but no dice.

When I 'docker exec' with /bin/sh and have a look in /tmp, there's nothing
in there at all, as expected, and certainly no 'erl_pipes'. Which I guess
might be something to do with the build steps.

Any clues on how to get this working?

Thanks!
Igor