[erlang-questions] Deployment rebar3

Tristan Sloughter t@REDACTED
Mon May 7 17:57:42 CEST 2018

Note that you, assuming you aren't already, should use `rebar3 tar` and
not tar/zip the release directory manually.
How to deploy a release is  more of a general problem. You should be
able to use whatever your IT guys are already using for copying a
release to a node and setting up configuration -- ansible, chef, etc?
You can use either OS vars as someone pointed out or simply have one of
those configuration tools create a whole new sys.config/vm.args and
overwrite the existing files after unpacking the release.
Docker doesn't really bring you much if not also using something like
kubernetes. You still have to get the image to a node and setup per-node
configuration, not much different from doing it with the tarred release.
But kubernetes is really great for this :). I use kubernetes deployments
and stateful sets to deploy Erlang releases, with env vars for
configuring sys.config/vm.args per pod and kubernetes dns for node
discovery/clustering.
Tristan