[erlang-questions] Erlang/OTP 21.0-rc1 (Release Candidate)

Lukas Larsson garazdawi@REDACTED
Thu May 3 15:53:48 CEST 2018

On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 3:41 PM, Kostis Sagonas <kostis@REDACTED> wrote:

> On 05/03/2018 03:29 PM, Lukas Larsson wrote:
>

>> On Thu, May 3, 2018 at 3:07 PM, Max Lapshin <max.lapshin@REDACTED
>> <mailto:max.lapshin@REDACTED>> wrote:
>>
>>     Not sure about new logging:

>>      From
>>     http://erlang.org/documentation/doc-10.0-rc1/lib/kernel-6.0/
>> doc/html/error_logger.html
>>     <http://erlang.org/documentation/doc-10.0-rc1/lib/kernel-6.
>> 0/doc/html/error_logger.html>     I do not see that error_logger is no
>> more with us.
>>
>>     Is it a existing process or it is completely abandoned?
>>
>> The error_logger event handler is started lazily when the first
>> error_logger:add_report_handler call is done. So the new logging
>> framework does not use the error_logger process, but it is started if
>> legacy code uses it. All calls to error_logger:*_report/msg are redirected
>> to logger which then decides what to do with them.
>>

> Something has clearly changed in the behaviour of the error logger in ways
> that I am not sure I completely understand.
>
> I have a simple script to run the HiPE tests which looks as follows:
> =====================================
> #! /bin/sh
>
> export ERL_TOP=$PWD
> export PATH=$ERL_TOP/bin:$PATH
>
> TDIR=/tmp/otp_tests
>
> rm -rf $TDIR
> ./otp_build tests $TDIR
> cd $TDIR
> ct_run -dir hipe_test
> =====================================
>
> Till last Friday, this script was running fine, even on master.  Since
> Friday when a lot of changes about the new 'logger' were merged, this
> script produces tons of lines of the form:
>
>   =ERROR REPORT==== 3-May-2018::15:38:47.765241 ===
>   Error in process <0.1524.0> on node ct@REDACTED with exit value:
>   {timeout_value,[{basic_exceptions,bad_guy,2,[]}]}
>
>   =WARNING REPORT==== 3-May-2018::15:38:51.663313 ===
>   Process <0.2680.0> on node 'ct@REDACTED' enabled access to the emulator
> internal state.
>   NOTE: This is an erts internal test feature and should *only* be used by
> OTP test-suites.
>

> How does one suppress these?

There seems to be some bug in the cth_log_redirect. You should be able to
do "ct_run -kernel logger_dest silent -dir hipe_test" to work around it for
now. We'll fix the bug.

Lukas