[erlang-questions] 'cannot' /= 'can not'

Valentin Micic v@REDACTED
Thu Jul 26 02:38:32 CEST 2018

On 24 Jul 2018, at 11:02 AM, <empro2@REDACTED> <empro2@REDACTED> wrote:

> This is only the most recent occurrence that finally
> makes me write this:
>
> <quote>
> [erlang-questions] Patch package OTP 20.3.8.3 released
> Tue, 24 Jul 2018 09:13:22 +0200
> [...]
> Note! The kernel-5.4.3.2 application can *not* be applied
>      independently of other applications on an arbitrary
>     OTP 20 installation.
> [...]
> </quote>
>
> If it can not be applied independently then it can also be
> applied independently - which, in this case, is
> probably not what is meant. But this is guesswork, relying
> on the reader already knowing the meaning of what is
> being said, rendering the saying it much less useful.

True. It takes a bit of effort to see it that way, though.
However, I think it is a bit of an exaggeration to say that it is relying on the reader already knowing of what is being said.
For most of us, non-native English speakers, English does not always make much sense... but we cannot not speak it, can we now?

V/