[erlang-questions] Node Crash for inets config 'SocketType ssl'

Prakash Parmar prakash.parmar@REDACTED
Wed Jul 11 07:12:31 CEST 2018

Hello Ingela,

Thanks for your response ?

I'm using rebar3 for release. I have mentioned ssl application in config file prior to inets application(though sequence doesn't matter) and as per my understanding rebar3 will take care of start sequence and I don't think so there is an option to define application start sequence explicitly. Am I right ?

Let me know if there is any way to make sure to start ssl application before inets application.

/Cheers,

Prakash Parmar

________________________________
From: Ingela Andin <ingela.andin@REDACTED>
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 9:33:50 PM
To: Prakash Parmar
Cc: Erlang Questions
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Node Crash for inets config 'SocketType ssl'

Hi!

Did you start the ssl application?

Regards Ingela Erlang/OTP Team - Ericsson AB

Hello,

I have a web-server based on inets otp application and running completely fine over 'http' in order to support 'https' I have changed inets configuration

as per the sample configuration located at Erlang's repo [1].

Here are the config file snippet I had changed/added,

SocketType ssl
SSLCertificateFile      {{install_dir}}/config/www/certs/server.pem
SSLCertificateKeyFile   {{install_dir}}/config/www/certs/server.pem
SSLVerifyClient 0

I have also generated certificate files[2] and kept it in above mentioned path.

unfortunately node is crashing at startup and following logs is printed on shell.

=CRASH REPORT==== 9-Jul-2018::12:13:50 ===
  crasher:
    initial call: application_master:init/4
    pid: <0.902.0>
    registered_name: []
    exception exit: {{shutdown,
                      {failed_to_start_child,httpd_sup,
                       {shutdown,
                        {failed_to_start_child,
                         {httpd_instance_sup,any,8881,default},
                         {shutdown,
                          {failed_to_start_child,
                           {httpd_acceptor_sup,any,8881,default},
                           {shutdown,
                            {failed_to_start_child,
                             {httpd_acceptor_sup,any,8881,default},
                             {'EXIT',
                              {function_clause,
                               [{http_transport,start,
                                 [ssl],
                                 [{file,"http_transport.erl"},{line,54}]},
                                {httpd_acceptor,do_socket_start,1,
                                 [{file,"httpd_acceptor.erl"},{line,101}]},
                                {httpd_acceptor,do_init,4,
                                 [{file,"httpd_acceptor.erl"},{line,94}]},
                                {httpd_acceptor,acceptor_init,8,
                                 [{file,"httpd_acceptor.erl"},{line,82}]},
                                {proc_lib,init_p_do_apply,3,
                                 [{file,"proc_lib.erl"},
                                  {line,247}]}]}}}}}}}}}},
                     {inets_app,start,[normal,[]]}}
      in function  application_master:init/4 (application_master.erl, line 134)
    ancestors: [<0.901.0>]
    messages: [{'EXIT',<0.903.0>,normal}]
    links: [<0.901.0>,<0.739.0>]
    dictionary: []
    trap_exit: true
    status: running
    heap_size: 987
    stack_size: 27
    reductions: 166
  neighbours:

Does anyone know what might be the problem ?

I have looked into 'http_transport' module's code and it seems that start/1 function[3] is not accepting 'ssl' atom as an arity,
Arity for this function is like {ssl, <Certificate_file_path>}. Any idea on this ? Did I missed anything ?

/ cheers,
Prakash Parmar

Reference,
[1] https://github.com/erlang/otp/blob/master/lib/inets/examples/server_root/conf/ssl.conf