[erlang-questions] Why Learn Elixir if it's built on Erlang? Why not just learn Erlang?

Gordon Guthrie gordon@REDACTED
Tue Feb 13 09:25:28 CET 2018

Hakim

Depends on your use case - Elixir, with its macros and all, is designed to
make some things super easy, things that you might to again and again -
building web sites, apis, back-ends to apps...

The cost side of that is that you have to invest time in learning how
Phoenix (for example) works and your code is harder to read - you need to
dig around to find out how stuff does what...

Erlang itself is a much smaller language - but the tooling is way behind
Elixir, so horses for courses.

Gordon

On 13 February 2018 at 07:28, José Valim <jose.valim@REDACTED> wrote:

> The important parts: concurrency, distribution, fault tolerance, etc will
> be mostly the same, regardless of your choice. After you learn those
> concepts, moving from one to another should be straight-forward and they
> interoperate fairly well.
>
> So pick whatever makes you more productive and enthusiastic while learning.
>
> In any case, if there are parts in the Elixir documentation that are vague
> or unclear, we would appreciate if those reported. The same applies to the
> Erlang/OTP documentation too.
>
> Enjoy!
>
> *José Valimwww.plataformatec.com.br
> <http://www.plataformatec.com.br/>Founder and Director of R&D*

---
Gordon Guthrie
@gordonguthrie
+44 (0) 7776 251669 (in Bonnie Scotland!)