[erlang-questions] Coon - new tool for building Erlang packages, dependency management and deploying Erlang services

Fred Hebert mononcqc@REDACTED
Mon Feb 12 17:13:54 CET 2018

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 11:08 AM, Roman Galeev <jamhedd@REDACTED> wrote:

> The worst part of it that nobody is offended at this very moment, but Fred
> speaks for people who could be offended, in his opinion. But could they, or
> could they not nobody knows (except them, but they are not present).

I know because of I have an ounce of empathy and I *know* these people
already. I know you really really want me to have invented them but I did
not.

Maybe the same people could be offended by other words as well, how do we
> know? And should we really care (having quite offensive names in the wild
> already)? Should we run all possible project names through the council of
> these people?

Yeah maybe they could be offended by other names. Maybe they won't. It's up
to the author to figure out if they want to deal with it. What I'm giving
here is a very real warning. If the author is fine offending people, that's
up to them, and they'll deal with it. I won't be the one defending them.

Loic can correct me if he's wrong, but his *Cowboy* web server took its
initial name because *cowboys kill apaches* if I recall old conference
conversations. I think it's of poor taste, but so far Loic has not had any
fall out or enough offended people to make any change, and he did build a
successful business out of it. He made the call and ran with it.