[erlang-questions] [ANN] Sonic Pi 3.0 released

Joe Armstrong erlang@REDACTED
Wed Jul 19 12:45:29 CEST 2017

Sonic Pi V3 now includes a complete Erlang distribution.

Sonic Pi is a complete programmable music making machine,
for teaching kids to program and for music experiments.

The Erlang is well hidden away - but it's there
together with a complete Ruby and Supercollider (also hidden)

So far I've only tested this on my Mac - but I think Erlang
is also included in the rasberry Pi, linux and windows distributions
(or at least will be)

This is actually an amazing bit of engineering - in a single desktop app
Sonic Pi includes complete stripped down  versions of Ruby and Erlang
and the Supercollider. All these are isolated components talking
together through OSC over UDP.

(See http://joearms.github.io/2016/01/28/A-Badass-Way-To-Connect-Programs-Together.html
- for details of OSC)

Sonic Pi is programmed in Ruby+Erlang+C++ + Supercollider language
and uses QT for the interface.

This is how systems should be built.

Sam has done a fantastic job job here - as a side effect of this
Erlang will be in the standard Rasberry Pi distro - whether it stays there
is up to YOU - Sam has done the ground work - this actually opens the
SonicPi infrastructure to Erlang and Elixir Programmers

So what are you waiting for? -  Go write a drum machine in Erlang
or an arpeggiator or a harmonizer - or write it in Elixir if that is
your thing.

Have fun

/Joe