[erlang-questions] wXWidgets

Anthony Ramine n.oxyde@REDACTED
Sat Oct 29 12:28:33 CEST 2016

Replied below.

> Le 28 oct. 2016 à 13:53, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> a écrit :
>
> Ten minutes of playing with rebol (from www.rebol.com)
> was enough to convince me that the current way GUIs are
> built is a total mess.
>
> I get the impression that GUI programming is actually going
> backwards - in the 80's there were systems build on languages
> like TCL that did not need GByte downloads and complex IDEs.
>
> Nowadays  a Graphics Library can easily be a GByte of code -
> so what went wrong - in the 1980's and entire OS with graphics
> was a few tens of MBytes ....

In the 1980s each system had its own look'n'feel, its own set of keyboard shortcuts, etc etc.

I'm already annoyed when a text field isn't the system widget because some keybindings I'm accustomed too are missing, I just couldn't use an application of which the whole GUI is custom.

How many graphical systems in the 1980s that were powered by Tcl/Tk were usable by visually-impaired people?

How many of them came with a text-to-speech subsystem? How many of them could allow users to set a higher contrast or a higher aspect ratio?

> Le 28 oct. 2016 à 16:18, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> a écrit :
>
> The canvas widget in HTML seems to be about the right level of
> abstraction - actually all one needs is a widget that can draw things
> using the SVG
> path and group commands ...

The canvas widget means you just produce pixels. How can that be accessible?