[erlang-questions] wXWidgets

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Mon Oct 31 05:28:20 CET 2016

On 29/10/16 12:53 AM, Joe Armstrong wrote:
> I get the impression that GUI programming is actually going
> backwards - in the 80's there were systems build on languages
> like TCL that did not need GByte downloads and complex IDEs.

The first GUI interface I ever programmed was Interlisp-D,
which was Interlisp running on Xerox 1108s, 1109s, 1185s, and
1186s.  Everything above the microcode level was Lisp.  The
GUI library occupied two chapters in the manual, and from
never having programmed a GUI before it took me about 10 days
to get a multipane debugger going.  The machine had a 32MB
virtual memory and a 4MB physical memory, and it was a couple
of decades before I had access to a GUI that was as fast in
use.