[erlang-questions] Any Erlang Devs Contemplating Elixir?

Garrett Smith g@REDACTED
Fri Feb 26 19:44:17 CET 2016

I just started a new project and momentarily had a very short thought that
I might use Elixir. My crusty old engineering persona took over and started
asking questions like, "why would you do that?" - then I got back to work
building software.

I strongly prefer the Erlang syntax over Elixir, especially for actual
functional programming.

I've have had a problem getting colleagues to adopt into Erlang, and I
believe I have a handle on why [1]. I think there are some solid answers to
"why use Elixir" if you're considering the problem of adoption. If you are
working alone or in a small team that is already proficient using Erlang, I
personally would just go and start your work and be happy you aren't being
forced to use Java, or Ruby, or Node.

How many bridges did I burn here?

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MvKLOecT1I