[erlang-questions] Why we need a -module() attribute?

Vlad Dumitrescu vladdu55@REDACTED
Fri Feb 26 00:09:58 CET 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 11:15 PM, Richard A. O'Keefe <ok@REDACTED>
wrote:

> On 25/02/16 10:29 pm, Vlad Dumitrescu wrote:
>

>> If the compiler is supposed to read the archive, then you mean that the
>> source files should be packed in one?
>>
> "Should" is up to the programmer.  What I'm advocating is "could".
>
> I can see the use for beam files to be distributed this way, but I'm not
>> sure about sources - if they are supposed to get edited, then we have to
>> unpack them anyway;
>>
> Well, if it comes to that, there's no reason why the *editor* couldn't
> work out of
> a zip file.  Try this: I get the Erlang/OTP sources, and I love that, and
> I *could*
> edit them if I needed to.  Indeed, on very rare occasions I have. But most
> of
> the time I *don't* edit them.  Or to put it another way, I have a project
> in another
> language.  Out of nearly 1800 files, nearly 45 of them have been changed in
> the last week.  That's one file out of 40.  Why should 39 files be
> just so I can edit 1 out of 40?
>
> Even now, if you want to edit a file, you have to unpack IT, not THEM.
>
> Then too, there are lots of things one can do with source files besides
> compile
> and edit them.

I see your point. For me a directory is easier to work with than an
archive, when it comes to source code, but it's just me.

regards,
vlad