[erlang-questions] Is Erlang ideal for a global exchange?

T Ty tty.erlang@REDACTED
Tue Jan 13 16:36:59 CET 2015

Your comment is quite interesting. My take-away from reading the LMAX
article wasn't the single threaded business logic process nor the shared
memory communication.

My take-aways were:

1. pipelining. Do all input validation and transformation before/after main
business logic processing. This makes coding the 'happy-path' easier and
keeps the business logic core small.

2. the business logic process is a master process that reacts to events and
generate events. This allows scaling of the business logic process as it
makes it easier to spawn processes to deal with the events.
(gen_event/gen_fsm triggering supervisor in simple_one_for_one that starts
other processes)

3. Event Sourcing. One added benefit is compliance. It is easier to
demonstrate compliance when there are events to show how the system changed
from one state to another. Compliance here can mean security compliance or
regulatory compliance.

4. business logic processor deals with events in-memory. mnesia ram_tables
fit this criteria easily as do ets tables.

5. Business Logic State Snapshot. Not only does this allow resilience
between node restarts it also allows migrating the partial process to a
different node entirely.

6. Avoiding external service calls in the Business Logic process.
Transition to an event based model for interacting with external services.
Have a middle layer of gen_fsm to determine where in the logic the current
process is in.

7. Mention about session data being transient and can be discarded. Aka let
process die and supervisor restart.

The Disruptor sounds like Riak.

Cheers