[erlang-questions] Is Erlang ideal for a global exchange?

Mihai Balea mihai@REDACTED
Tue Jan 13 15:11:10 CET 2015

> On Jan 12, 2015, at 4:10 AM, T Ty <tty.erlang@REDACTED> wrote:
>
> The LMAX architecture is an easy fit for Erlang and one which an Erlanger would naturally arrive to.

I beg to differ. LMAX uses a single threaded process to implement its entire business logic, which makes it highly sensitive to sequential performance. This is not one of Erlang’s strong points. Also, the disruptors - which are essentially fancy circular buffers - depend on preallocated memory and destructive updates to attain their performance. Finally, the communication between various stages in the pipeline is done through shared memory, and they do some clever tricks to avoid locking.

Yes, you could emulate this architecture in Erlang, but you won’t get anywhere near LMAX’s performance.

Mihai