[erlang-questions] Erlang package manager

Gleb Peregud gleber.p@REDACTED
Fri Dec 11 11:00:34 CET 2015

I am currently working on a proof of concept for Nix packages in Erlang.
Here are the assumptions of mine:
- maintenance of Nix packages should be automated
- tarballs with packages should come from a single source
- be willing to sacrifice backward compatibility to be able to do automatic
maintenance
- Nix packages should be usable both for deployment and development
- provide reproducible (but not necessary hermetic) builds of Erlang
packages and all their both Erlang and non-Erlang dependencies

This leads to the following approach:
- use Hex.pm as source of packages' tarballs and metadata
- exclusively use Rebar3 as a build tool, but not as a package management
tool
- import latest versions of each package on Hex.pm and their deps'
transitive closures
- the import needs to be mostly automated and should be able to run in "a
cron" (e.g. on Travis)

Here's my first stab onto it, focusing purely on Nix part, without working
on the scripts/tooling yet:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/11614

If there are Nix-ers here, please take a look.and comment.
If you are curious about details, feel free to ask questions.

Best regards,
Gleb Peregud