[erlang-questions] observer app in production

Vance Shipley vances@REDACTED
Fri Dec 11 04:10:27 CET 2015

On Thu, Dec 10, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Caragea Silviu <silviu.cpp@REDACTED> wrote:
> It's ok to use observer in production environment to look at processes queues, memory usage and whatever else it's there?

That would depend on how critical the system is and how loaded it is
at the time.

> There any any performance issues for the node if you use this ?

There is additional load added which is larger the more processes are
running, spawning & exiting.  The "observer effect" can become a
problem when the system is highly loaded.

I would recommend frequent/constant monitoring of production systems
to learn how they behave in the wild as long as they aren't critical
and highly loaded.  It is even more important to observe highly loaded
systems as that is when their true behaviour reveals itself however it
is also when they are least stable so if they are also critical you
should be more concerned about keeping them up.

--
     -Vance