[erlang-questions] BSON parsing?

Carsten Bormann cabo@REDACTED
Mon May 19 22:01:25 CEST 2014

On 16 May 2014, at 10:57, Thomas Lindgren <thomasl_erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> Being dirty, you don't have to think about things like NaNs, infinities, denormalized numbers, fp according to ISO/IEC 9899:TC3 Section 7.6, tracking the evolution of fp standards or what to do about

You certainly have to think about denormalized numbers in Erlang if you care about your floating point values.
(You don’t get non-finites, you get exceptions instead.  Do do get silent underflows.)

Much of the complexity*) of C’s support for floating point comes from *not* simply assuming IEEE 754.
Fixing that can simplify floating point so much.

(Of course it also means you cannot take advantage as much of some weird non-754 floating point capability your target system might have.  It seems pretty clear to me which of these considerations would win for a language like Erlang from a 2014+ point of view.)

Grüße, Carsten

*) (Much of the rest of the complexity comes from not having exceptions available as a language construct.)