[erlang-questions] dialyzer and behaviours

Thomas Lindgren thomasl_erlang@REDACTED
Sun Jul 20 10:57:54 CEST 2014

"This is a somewhat controversial view that will probably upset somepeople, but _statistically_ creating and enforcing axiomatic
abstractions is the only thing that qualifies as a type system. Dynamic
typing just isn't typing (going even further, which is even more
controversial (but accurate IMO), it is uni-typing)."

Static typing people as a rule want to reject dynamic typing from consideration, usually reserving "typing" for their own work. (Do I detect a hint of Bob Harper in your text above?) But dynamic typing does however, for example, work well in Milner's sense of "does not go wrong", which is sufficient to many of us. There are other advantages too, like trivially handling incomplete or changing programs. Or for that matter allowing programs that are correct and do not go wrong, yet still are rejected by the type inference algorithm.

In the larger scheme of things, we also have to consider other issues than typing purity tests. While there are many aspects to this, two points have remained with me. First, it's a family of restrictive disciplines combined with various inference algorithms that buys you some assurances of correctness, but utterly ignores other potentially important issues, including partial correctness. Do the gains outweigh the costs? It's a trade off. Second, in some sense, the preference for static vs dynamic seems more than anything else to be an issue of personality (perhaps reinforced by upbringing). For example, some love it that the type checker finds their "tons of errors" (as they often put it), while others prefer the shortcuts available when there are less restrictions, like having PIDs instead of typed channels.

And since this same discussion has been recurring for me since the early 90s, with no apparent progress, and since this is not the mailing list to rehash these old issues, with that I'll try to leave the bait and unhook myself ;-)

Best,
Thomas