[erlang-questions] ssl certificate verification in httpc

Roger Lipscombe roger@REDACTED
Thu Jul 17 09:08:43 CEST 2014

SSL encryption is done by the client creating a session key, and using
the server's public key (from the server's certificate) to securely
send it to the server. If you don't verify the server certificate, you
have no way of knowing whether you're subject to a man-in-the-middle
attack, where the attacker can give you a fake certificate, extract
the session key, read/manipulate all your traffic, and then
(optionally) send it to the real server.

Encryption is only half of the story. SSL also aims to guarantee safe
key exchange, but to do that, you need to verify the server
certificate. This means verifying that the names match, that it's
trusted (or issued by a trusted CA), and that it hasn't expired, been
revoked, etc.

And there's more than one way (also including DNS spoofing) to
intercept the traffic: transparent proxies, pwned WiFi router, etc..