[erlang-questions] Microservices vs. Erlang processes

Lloyd R. Prentice lloyd@REDACTED
Mon Jul 7 17:45:24 CEST 2014

Hello,

We're hearing much about "microservice architecture" in system design circles these days:

http://martinfowler.com/articles/microservices.html

Can anyone explain to me how this design practice differs from the Erlang practice of factoring a system into concurrent processes?

I think I understand that they have different interfaces and that Erlang processes can be easily monitored and supervised but, beyond that...

- Is this a case of another term for a functionally equivalent concept?
- Is an Erlang process typically coarser or finer grained than a typical microservice?
- What "itch" is being scratched by microservice design that can't be scratched by well designed Erlang?

Thanks,

LRP

Sent from my iPad